Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Big Chainring

I awoke this morning to find out that it was not as cold as the forecast had predicted. The wind temperature was at 46, this was of course exciting news as I thought it was going to be in the 30's. Accident Andrews and I headed out to the levee to meet the usual group of thursday riders. There was a decent showing for an after Mardi Gras ride. Accident Andrews and I rode past the group and headed to the bench to "stretch". I looked back to see the group was heading towards us, so I hopped on my bike and headed out. I need about a mile or so to warm up before I start riding with the fast kids. As the group came up behind me I fell into line. We were going a decent pace of about 22 to 23 mph. I dropped to the back so that I could have some more time before I would have to take a pull. As we were riding along, people were rolling back and giving others a chance to take a pull, as I was one person away from taking a pull on the front I was behind someone who had decided they were going to play Mario Andretti today and pull the group up to about 27 mph. This was it for me, I knew it, the people behind me knew it. I pulled out of the group and started heading towards the back. All the while, everyone was yelling "Big Chainring, Big Chainring, Get Into Your Big Chainring", it was too late. They were ahead of me and I was now cruising along at 22 mph alone. All alone. I was feeling a little amateur-ish as well. I should have known better.
I was riding along and began to wonder if Accident Andrews would ever come back for me. I made the decision to continue riding towards the end and maybe the group would pass me on the way back and I could catch back on. However, around Rivertown, Accident Andrews came through and was riding back towards me. We rode ahead past the water towers and turned around. I had been feeling really sluggish on the ride, so when we were on the way back and Accident Andrews wanted to do intervals, I booed that idea. We then decided to just try and keep the pace up. On the way back I started getting lectured by Accident Andrews, he threatened that he was going to tape up my chainring if I didn't start using it, because really what use was it, if I didn't shift. Grrrr...I hate shifting. I am an awkward shifter. He is right though, I need to focus on that, especially when I am pedaling like a hamster on a wheel and I still can't keep up. (Yes I said he was right, that may be the only time I say that on the blog). So I practiced shifting on the way back. We managed to keep a decent pace until we hit the country club and the head wind got the best of us. We made it back in one piece, no crashes, no falls, a good day! Phrase of the day: Big Chainring.

No comments: