Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Choices

We are all making choices everyday, we choose to get up and ride, we choose to sleep in, we create each and every moment by the choices we are making. Sometimes we regret these choices, and other times we are glad we made them. Choices are interesting if you really think about them, creating our lives by simple yes and no decisions. Choices are defining who we are, the good, bad and just plain crazy. "Choose before your choices fade away" -Fred LeBlanc, an interesting quote that Elizabash introduced me to. I didn't get to thinking about this quote until today and realized how true it is. We are presented with choices as children and as we get older we are given the opportunity to make more and more choices on our own. However, if we wait too long, these choices aren't available to us, there are no longer choices for us to choose from instead we are forced into situations, no longer directing our own path but going down the only path that is left for us to take. Who knew choices were so critical.
I made the choice to get up to ride today and promptly texted Accident Andrews to make sure we were riding. I'm always glad when I get up and ride, there has never been a time when I made the choice to ride and I regretted it, even on days of my many crashes. We arrived on the levee to a large group of cyclists lined up at the pump. Accident Andrews and I rode ahead so that he could stretch and I could watch, (because I am too stubborn to stretch) and continued riding until the group caught up with us. I usually need to pick up some speed before I start riding with that group of speed demon cyclists. I tagged along and jumped right in and before I knew it I was up front, pulling for a bit and not really understanding the double pace line. I have only experienced this once or twice before under rigorous instruction, so I was a little thrown off today. The group was going faster than normal, so I knew it wasn't going to be too long before I felt the back calling my name. I got up in the front one more time and was feeling pretty good, then I had to jump on someone's wheel just to hold on because speedy ken got up front. I was a goner, there was no coming back from that surge for me. I stayed strong and continued my ride. Accident Andrews eventually saw that I was behind the group and he came to get me. We continued the ride at a pace I could breathe at:) We finished strong, coming in at about two hours. I survived another day riding and I thoroughly enjoyed the path I chose today.

No comments: