Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lemons into Lemonade


The weather has me down, but not out. First the rain, then the wind storms, then more rain, and the list goes on. I'm beginning to believe in El Nino/La Nina with all the craziness that is the weather in New Orleans right now. I woke up today ready to ride! I popped (sort of) out of bed, only to find out the radar wasn't looking good. I decided that we should forge ahead, Accident Andrews was ready to do so as well. Clothes on, sunglasses on head, helmet in hand, walking out the door and I get a text and a phone call. Rain they both claimed, I saw no such thing at my door, then WOOOOSHHHHHH, a tiny downpour in Mid-City. I walk back inside and sat down, feeling as though someone let the air out of my tires (no pun intended). After a small debate with myself about whether or not to wait out the rain or not, I decided to change and go eat breakfast and start the day out early. Getting to work before 9am, I figured my boss would have a heart attack! He wasn't in the office, so he missed the unusual early arrival, damn(he will never believe me).


Today was an example of one of those days when you are supposed to take a bad day and do something great with it. I have found that there are some situations in which there is no saving them and that nothing will make them better. Sometimes you just need to get out. Turning lemons into lemonade isn't always a possibility, there are just some bad lemons out there. Then there are days that present themselves as being horrible, (i.e. falling out of bed, missing the alarm, running out of gas on the interstate, spilling coffee on your shirt, completely forgetting an appointment) and suddenly things turn around. You are standing there with coffee on your shirt at a gas station where three men have helped you drag your car to and you are on the phone with the person who you have forgotten you had an appointment with and WHAM, the best news ever just falls into your lap. You just landed the impossible sponsor, and everything is better. Bad turned to good, things gone completely awry turned to a joyous celebration. Maybe we should just celebrate in anticipation of this great unexpected news that is on its way. We don't know its on the way, but we celebrate the coffee spill and the missed appointment because we know somewhere in our day the celebration will be deserved. Or do we sit and stew in our failings? I'm turning those lemons into lemonade, in honor of the rain I'm going for a swim. Hopefully I won't be swimming home:)

No comments: