Friday, January 11, 2008

How the team was born...

Let's start out with Crashley, because well, it's my story so it will be easier to tell...After deciding to train for an Ironman 70.3 race in 2005 (Pre-K), I was on a ride on the river levee. At this point in time, I was what some would call a "reluctant" cyclist, I only did it because I had to, it was the only way to finish a triathlon (unless of course I was on a team). I was doing a short ride, and by short ride I mean 20 miles, on the levee. With the wind at my back I was feeling good, wrapping up the ride and ready to go eat some breakfast. (I had not eaten at all before this ride, this is an important side note). Coming around the bend by the horses stables and the random houses on the levee I was headed in for the home stretch. I looked up as I rounded the curve only to see a group of cyclists headed in the opposite direction, they all began to shout, "Watch out for the dog", and I noticed a dog running alongside of the cyclists. This was the point of no return, as soon as I saw the dog he jetted out from behind the last cyclist to cross the levee path and WHACK. I went flying. CREEECH. The sound of teeth hitting the pavement. There was blood. Lots of it. I don't really remember what happened first, but I know some people stopped for me and brought me a water bottle. (Thank you, whoever you are, I owe you a big thank you!). I realized the blood was coming from my mouth and that not much of my front teeth were left. I picked myself up and started heading down the levee towards the stables for some medical attention/waiting for an ambulance. I remember going back up on the levee to "look" for my teeth. In all my naiveness I thought that the dentists could put me back together like Humpty Dumpty. This apparently is not so (just in case you were wondering). After the realization set in that I was going to need to seek some serious dental treatment I began to go into shock. I had about 10 blankets on me and kept saying how I was cold. Shaking. Shivering. I was taken immediately to the dentists office where they called in an oral surgeon to come look at me as well. I remember asking for food around this time, but with my lip still hanging from my chin, no food was in my immediate future. Fast forward a year and half later, summer 2006, and I was the proud owner of 4 new teeth. This is how my journey began and how the name Crashley was born.

No comments: