Monday, January 28, 2008

Dog Days of Rain


I used to love the rain, especially as a kid, because more often than not there was a "flood day" at school and we got out early. This was akin to a "snow day", something to which I am completely unfamiliar, but I have heard about from my friends up north. Rain also meant sleeping in and staying dry and warm inside. It's funny how things change as we get older, rain doesn't really mean that for me anymore, now it means a canceled workout and frustration of the weather gods. You can only run so many miles on a treadmill (I'm up to 10) without being completely miserable, and you can only swim for so long before you start to smell like chlorine all the time. Spinning classes are great, however they are almost always full on days when it is raining. So when I hear the pitter patter of rain on the ground outside and thunder bolts, I don't get that feeling of excitement that work may be canceled. I just get frustrated because I know that I will be working out like a hamster on a wheel!

Went for a ride with Accident Andrews on Saturday...this proved to be a good decision, since I didn't pull myself out of bed on Sunday to do anything productive, unless drinking is considered productive. Saturday was one of those annoying rain days, it wasn't raining hard enough to cancel a workout, it wasn't not raining either, it was drizzling, just enough to make you wet and your sunglasses covered with rain drops. Just enough rain for frustration. Little bit of a head wind/tail wind, nothing to really complain about. Hopefully there are dry, warm days ahead!

No comments: